Recipe: Tamale Pie

It seems like the only recipes I try nowadays are ones that catch my eye on Pinterest, but last weekend Thomas and I pulled out a few of my REAL cookbooks {gasp!} and picked out some meals to put to the test.

I flipped through the pages of
The Dinner Doctor by Anne Byrn (@annebyrn) and thought this recipe sounded delicious - who doesn't love tamales? While there are actually no tamales in this dish, the hominy and corn chip mixture bakes to the same consistency as tamale masa. I love Anne's recipes - they're simple and quick! I even mastered my first-ever homemade chicken pot pie thanks to her cooking wisdom.

This recipe only takes a few minutes to assemble and will be ready in less than half-an-hour.

INGRE
DIENTS:
  • 1 can (15.5 ounces) white hominy {the only can I could find was more than 15.5 oz, so I just guesstimated}
  • 3 cups of corn chips (Fritos), lightly crushed
  • 2 cans (15 ounces each) chili with beans
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Empty the hominy (with its liquid) into a glass or ceramic baking dish and mix with 3 cups of corn chips, spreading the mixture evenly. Empty 2 cans of chili on top, spreading to cover the corn/hominy. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Top with 1 cup of shredded cheddar and bake for 5 additional minutes. 







Serve immediately with your choice of toppings - I used avocado, white onion and sour cream. I meant to shred some iceburg lettuce for a little healthy kick, but this was smelling toooooo good and I completely forgot. Definitely won't be the last time I make this recipe!


{Tamale Pie recipe from Anne Byrn's The Dinner Doctor, Workman Publishing}

This afternoon, we're headed to Waco for Baylor Homecoming. I'm seriously like a kid on Christmas morning. Can't wait to reunite with friends and celebrate all things BAYLOR. Have a great weekend!

Comments

Popular Posts